qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] OpenHackWare hacking

From: Ed Swierk
Subject: [Qemu-devel] OpenHackWare hacking
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 16:08:56 -0700

The attached patch addresses a few problems in OpenHackWare:

- The return value from the OpenFirmware read function should not exceed the
actual file size by more than one block; otherwise the Linux kernel's
initramfs routines get confused by the extra junk and reject the initramfs.

- The OpenFirmware nextprop function should return 1 when a property is found,
not the length of the property's name. Otherwise Linux fails to find any
properties when unflattening the device tree.

- If the boot file's checksum is unknown, OpenHackWare should assume it's a
Linux or OpenBSD boot script rather than barfing.

- The linker script requires Daniel Jacobowitz's fix to build on Fedora 6.

These changes get me a few steps closer to booting an unmodified Fedora 6
PowerPC boot.iso. Outstanding issues include:

- The Fedora 6 version of yaboot looks for a "conf=" parameter in the bootargs
to tell it where to find yaboot.conf; OHW needs to read this parameter from
the boot script and pass it along.

- After the kernel finally boots, it complains about unhandled interrupts for
the CD device. I assume this is a Qemu issue.

Comments welcome.

--Ed