qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Sparc-linux-user problem

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Sparc-linux-user problem
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 18:20:55 +0100

On Saturday 28 April 2007, Blue Swirl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm investigating why Sparc32 user emulator breaks when linked with
> -lrt. It seems that other libraries also cause the problem, for
> example -lm -ldl -lX11 -lbfd -lslang is okay, but  -lm -ldl -lX11
> -lbfd -lslang -lglib-2.0 segfaults just like -lm -lrt. If just address
> space conflict was the issue, I'd think 12 megs libbfd would trigger
> the problem instead of 64k librt.
>
> Any ideas?

I've never got this to work reliably on either x86 or amd64 hosts. I get
mysterious segfaults in the depths of libc. My guess is that the tricks qemu
uses to link itself as a shared library are confusing things (possibly the
TLS initialisation).

Configuring with --enable-static usually works around the problem.

Paul