qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Magic Numbers for Qemu Images

From: Friedrich Schwittay
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Magic Numbers for Qemu Images
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 20:46:11 +0200

/* CC´d to address@hidden: Just to have it available to Qemu-Devs who will acually have real use for it */ Hi Christos, i recently added some lines to my magic file and since there might be a hole bunch of people out there pointing file(1) on qemu images it would be nice, if you include them into available file(1) releases. I would appreciate if you keep my name in there, thx. ######## And here they are:############ #-------------------------------------------------------------------- # Qemu Emulator Images # Lines written by Friedrich Schwittay (address@hidden) # Made by reading sources and doing trial and error on existing # qcow files 0 string QFI Qemu Image, Format: Qcow # Uncomment the following line to display Magic (only used for debugging # this magic number) #>0 string x , Magic: %s # There are currently 2 Versions: "1" and "2" # I do not use Version 2 and therefor branch here # but can assure: it works (tested on both versions) # Also my Qemu 0.9.0 which uses this Version 2 refuses # to start in its bios >0x04 belong 2 , Version: 2 >0x04 belong 1 , Version: 1 # Using the existence of the Backing File Offset to Branch or not # to read Backing File Information >>0xc belong >0 , Backing File( Offset: %d >>>(0xc.L) string >\0 , Path: %s # Didnt got the Trick here how qemu stores the "Size" at this Position # There is actually something stored but nothing makes sense # The header in the sources talks about it #>>>16 lelong x , Size: %d # Modification time of the Backing File # Really usefull if you want to know if your backing # file is still usable together with this image >>>20 bedate x , Mtime: %s ) # Dont know how to calculate in Magicfiles # Also: this Information is not reliably # stored in image-files >>24 lelong x , Disk Size could be: %d * 256 bytes ####### End of Qemu-Lines ############# I will make some more if there is Interest in it For me it just makes it possible to check where i have to put the corresponding Backing File when the location has changed because tool "qemu-img info" refuses to show this information if the backing file is not in the right position. Best Wishes Friedrich Schwittay