qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How to Linux kernel for MIPSEL qemu

From: PianoPan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How to Linux kernel for MIPSEL qemu
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 10:42:46 +0800

Thiemo:

Thanks for your suggestion.

Yes, it is a issue about endianness. I already fix it. The default of
kernel for MIPS Qemu is not support the little endian. The
arch/mips/Kconfig must be updated for mipsel.

Thanks for ur help!

Best regard!

Pan
On 5/18/07, Thiemo Seufer <address@hidden> wrote:
PianoPan wrote:
> Hello every one,
>
> I try to build a mipsel kernel by myself for qemu-system-mipsel. But
> the qemu can not boot it properly. Is there anyone can give me some
> suggestion about it.
>
> My method is following,
>
> * Get the kernel of 2.6.18.3 from kernel.org

In general the source tree from www.linux-mips.org is morfe likely
to work.

> * Get the config.gz from the mipsel kernel that be provided by Qemu web.
> * uncompress config.gz and rename it as .config, copy it to Linux
> kernel directory .
> * in the kernel directory, use following command to build the kernel
> make ARCH=mips
> CROSS_COMPILE=/opt/noki/mipsel-unknown-linux/sdktool/bin/mipsel-unknown-linux-
> oldconfig
>
> make ARCH=mips
> CROSS_COMPILE=/opt/noki/mipsel-unknown-linux/sdktool/bin/mipsel-unknown-linux-
> all

Looks ok.

> after build , I use qemu 0.9 to boot it, and do not successes.
>
> #qemu-system-mipsel -kernel vmlinux -initrd initrd.gz -append
> "console=ttyS0"
> qemu: Warning, could not load MIPS bios
> '/opt/noki/mipsel-unknown-linux//sdktool//share/qemu/mipsel_bios.bin'
> qemu: could not load kernel 'vmlinux'

This means Qemu's built-in ELF loader failed to load the vmlinux
binary. I've seen that when attempting to load a kernel with the
wrong endianness.

Maybe you want to try the Debian installer image, e.g. from
http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/installer-mipsel/current/images/qemu/netboot/

Thiemo