qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] emulated lance device crashes in debian-sparc32

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] emulated lance device crashes in debian-sparc32
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 11:25:25 +0100

> > I think Qemu should reject -net user only. Currently that seems to
> > mean that there is no nic, but still the vlan is connected to slirp
> > stack. That does not make any sense.

If you do this, do it properly and warn if any qemu vlans have a single device
attached.

> In my past experience, -net user implies -net nic.

You are mistaken. -net user does not imply -net nic.
I suspect you're confusing it with the old network options.

> Hmm.  -net performs 2 separate functions.  First, it sets up the
> network card in the guest machine (nic, model, and macaddr). Second, it
> specifies how that card behaves on the host side of things (vlan, user,
> tap, or socket).

-net creates devices and attaches them to the virtual network, whether they be
emulated devices on the host, or devices for communication with the "real"
world.

Paul