qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] QEMU License and proprietary hardware

From: Armbrost Failsafe
Subject: [Qemu-devel] QEMU License and proprietary hardware
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 13:28:53 +0200

We are looking into using QEMU as the base for a model of a custom system featuring some custom ASICs. But licensing issues are halting the process right now. Does anyone know what happens license-wise if we create a model of proprietary hardware using QEMU? Is that model automatically covered by the GPL and thus we have to give to anyone who asks about it? It is clear that if we keep it internal, it is OK. But anyone outside of our organization is to use it, shouldn't they automatically be entitled to receive the entire source of QEMU, including our models of proprietary devices? Even if these are developed from scratch without using any existing source code for devices?

/armbrost