qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] ANN: DetaolB v0.4 is released

From: Christian MICHON
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] ANN: DetaolB v0.4 is released
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 22:28:30 +0200

On 7/5/07, Rob Landley <address@hidden> wrote:
What's the difference between deltaolb and Firmware Linux, anyway?  I'm still
curious about this.

a few differences, quite minor actually (that's why I said in the past we
shared many common goals :-) )...

I actually started this in 2002, but then hit many bugs in uclibc. In the end,
I actually used a trimmed LFS approach, using zisofs. My bootable env
then was ~45Mb. At that time, buildroot was also starting... I lacked of
time to work on it.

The biggest difference today is that your firmware is based on automation
or Makefiles, whereas I still use a LFS type of approach. I first build a
static minimal toolchain with a static busybox: all native, no cross
compilation. Then I chroot in it, compile uclibc, busybox, the toolchain.
The rest is obvious, but quite manual. I really should do Makefiles...

The other difference is that I base detaolb on aufs/squashfs (I do not
think you passed that stage yet, if I recall not all the archs you're
targetting can take this). That's today's improvement over the stuff
I did in 2002 using zifofs.

Oh, by the way, the Fedora for Arm project is also building natively on arm,
but they got some fast ARM hardware and stuck lots of DRAM and hard drive
space onto it rather than using QEMU.

in 2003/2004, I also worked on porting linux to an Ipaq h2215. I actually then
used buildroot arm precompiled, and managed to chroot in it using nfs over
usb. quite cool, and the speed was better than qemu today. It was just a
400Mhz Xscale.

I'm still interested in your cross compiling tutorial. I believe we all are :)

If I start putting too many archs in the picture, I believe DetaolB will be
redundant with Firmware. This is not intended. Originally I wanted to
share the portable x86 env I carry on my usb key. Some of you asked
for a sparc32 port. I'll complete this one at least (I'm progressing quite
fast on it).

--
Christian