qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Hardware Detection in Qemu

From: Michael Fisher
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Hardware Detection in Qemu
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 08:34:17 -0400

I have run various live Linux CD distributions (Knoppix, DSL, Ubuntu, etc.) under QEMU and was wondering if there is really a need to run the various hardware detection scripts in the live CDs? Obviously, a script for getting an IP address is needed but if I know I am running the distro under QEMU, do I need to check for USB, SCSI, AGP, PCI and the other detection scripts?

If QEMU is already doing that, can't I just tweak the live distro to match QEMU and then let QEMU do the work when it is placed on various host computers?

Currently, most of my testing is done using Win XP as the host but in the future I will be looking at Linux and Macs as hosts also.

Any thoughts?

TIA,

desNotes