qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: What is the current support state for Sparc emulati

From: Jonathan Kalbfeld
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: What is the current support state for Sparc emulation
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 08:58:21 -0700

OpenSolaris requires sparcv9, so it's unlikely that the OS will boot using qemu-system-sparc.  However, if you can get the kernel to load and tell you that you need 64-bit, that's probably progress.

jonathan

As promised, I tried today to launch Solaris 9 (CD version for Sparc, downloaded from http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/9/) on fresh CVS version checked out today. I built it using the manual on this page: http://maiux.com/qemu-windows-binaries-compile-howto but with sparc-softmmu switch in configure's options. The build went well and I tried to start the image the following way:

qemu-system-sparc -L . -m 256 -hda hda.img -cdrom sol-9-905hw-install-ga-sparc.iso -boot d -no-acpi -g 800x600 -localltime (with different variations of three last switches).

The result:

[sparc] Booting file 'cdrom' with parameters ''
Not a bootable ELF image
Not a Linux kernel image
Not a bootable a.out image
Not a bootable ELF image
Not a Linux kernel image
Loaded 7680 bytes
entry point is 0x4000
Jumping to entry point...
Unhandled Exception 0x00000007
  PC = 0xffd0a55c NPC = 0xffd09374
    Stopping execution

So this is my report, I hope it can be of some use. I'll try to boot sparc version of OpenSolaris soon and I'l let you know how it went.

Regards,
Grzegorz Galezowski

Jonathan Kalbfeld
+1 323 620 6682