qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-system-arm -M akita/terrier - which roms work? (an

From: andrzej zaborowski
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-system-arm -M akita/terrier - which roms work? (and cursor issue)
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 22:13:42 +0200

On 24/07/07, Juergen Lock <address@hidden> wrote:
 I was under the impression that -append doesnt work, is this wrong?
Also /proc/cmdline on the zaurus is
        console=ttyS0 root=/dev/mtdblock2
mtdparts=sharpsl-nand:address@hidden(smf),address@hidden(root),-(home)
jffs2_orphaned_inodes=delete EQUIPMENT=5 LOGOLANG=1 DEFYEAR=2007 LOGO=1 LAUNCH=q
and even when I do pass that with -append to qemu I still dont get
anything on the serial console.  So maybe the problem is just missing
kernel commandline...  Can -append be fixed?

No, not in qemu :(  zaurus kernels don't accept any parameters from
bootloaders, that's because they use the
arch/arm/boot/compressed/head-sharpsl.S file instead of the generic
arm head.S. Set the parameters in your .config.

 Could be, but can `info jit' also show no change then?  (qemu is still
using all the cpu time it can get.)

Oh, then maybe it really hangs. I have only tested 2.6 kernels from
different trees (but they were all descendants of linus' tree more
than Sharp's) and OpenBSD (some post 4.0 cvs checkout). It's possible
that Sharp kernels depend on something that is set up by the Sharp
PROM code, which is closed-source (the one that runs the japanese
menu). It should be possible to run it in qemu though.

> Installing debian however should not
>depend on what rom you use, afterall debian is supposed to replace the
>contents.

 Well I dont want to replace the contents, I want to run debian in
addition to the sharp stuff in a chroot :)  See e.g. here,
        http://wiki.debian.org/PocketWorkstation
and under `Installing Debian/PocketWorkstation' here:
        http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/jumbo/xqtjumbo.html
(these instructions and packages are a bit dated and not directly for
c3200 which is one of the reasons i'd like to test/prepare things
using qemu.)

I still think that debian shouldn't care about what was your original
distribution or what distribution hosts the chroot environment.

Regards