qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] vnc improvement/bugfix patches from xen

From: Matthew Kent
Subject: [Qemu-devel] vnc improvement/bugfix patches from xen
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 19:22:37 -0700

After some issues with qemu vnc I happened upon the patches xen carries
in xen-unstable.hg/tools/ioemu/patches/. After getting them to apply
cleanly they have vastly improved my experience with vnc.

I've taken these, omitted any that are xen specific or add extra
features to qemu, and made some patches that apply cleanly to the latest
qemu and kvm-33 sources.

http://magoazul.com/proj/qemu/from_xen-unstable.hg_7c5c3aa858cc/

They seem to resolve the following issues for me:

- having the vncviewer 4.1.2 die with:
Rect too big: 4260x16389 at 4259,4323 exceeds 720x400
Aborted
- having some odd stuck bits on the display when using the mouse via gdm
or vim
 -> fixed by vnc-backoff-screen-scan/vnc-cleanup/vnc-fixes

- occasionally having the vnc server go into an infinite loop thus
screwing up the entire vm (verified with gdb)
 -> fixed by vnc-protocol-fixes

- keypad not working
 -> fixed by vnc-keypad-handling

[vnc-altgr-keysym/vnc-fix-text-display-shift-key not sure, included em
anyway]

Obviously I had *zero* hand in creating these patches and the original
authors deserve the credit, I'm merely providing them for anyone
experiencing the same issues. What I have done though is abused the
patched qemu and kvm installs pretty thoroughly with vnc over the past
week without issue.

Also, in the course of this I read the recent 'Merging QEMU-DM upstream'
slides from XenSummit by Anthony Liguori who I've seen on this list.
Wondering if this is ongoing and I just duplicated some work that's
already done? :)
--
Matthew Kent <address@hidden>
http://magoazul.com