qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] What 64-bit CPU targets dominate in the future?

From: J.C. Pizarro
Subject: [Qemu-devel] What 64-bit CPU targets dominate in the future?
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 02:36:37 +0200

Hi people,

I'm looking for simulators of 64-bit processors for my 32-bit PC and
i've found one.

"qemu-system-x86_64" works simulating a x86-64 linux as slamd64, ubuntu, etc.

http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/status.html indicates that x86-64
is OK for System emulation but is not supported for user emulation.

The problem is that the x86-64 ISA is too complex to develop i an
aplication that generates assembler or machine code like CacaoJVM,
JCVM, Flex, ...
x86-64 is CISC and not RISC. It will be easy if the 64-bit CPU is RISC.

I don't know what 64-bit CPU that will dominate in years 2008 .. 2013.

I'm not sure if PearPC or PSIM simulates PowerPC64 ISA but the
"Full-System Simulator for IBM PowerPC 970" said that it does but it's
closed source.

I'm not sure if Sulima simulates Sparc64 ISA from
http://ccnuma.anu.edu.au/sulima/0.4/sparc-sulima-0.4.tar.gz but it
goes to v0.4 version, not v1.0 :(

The IA-64 CPU is monstruous and too complex because there aren't known
open source applications that target IA-64. I don't know if that
simulator exists or not.

After talking, my question is:

What popularity of CPU will dominate in the years 2008 .. 2013? By example,
1. x86-64: 75%
2. ppc64: 15%
3. sparc64: 5%
4. others: 5%