qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [kvm-devel] Storing command line options in images

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [kvm-devel] Storing command line options in images
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 20:14:03 +0300

Anthony Liguori wrote:
Jorge Lucángeli Obes wrote:
Hi all,

>From what I've gathered, it seems that we have basically four options
at hand. I think it's important to notice, however, that whatever
comes out of this will probably be, as Avi said, a "low-end" solution.
IMHO there's room to have both the high-end libvirt-like approach, and
the "shell replacer" approach.

So let's see:

1- We could go the way of the patches I've posted, adding the comments
everyone's made.
1a- It's a good idea to actively signal QEMU to read command line
options from the image file, and not have it on by default.

I think if you have to add a new option, the base implementation is wrong. The whole point of this is to simplify things for the user and adding more weird options just makes things more complicated.

It's not as bad as that -- the user has to remember only option (or have a qemu-trusted script that supplies the option). But I agree that the feature is now much less compelling, and that the new option is needed.

4- We could have configuration files associated with the host and guests.
4a- Embedded XML.
4b- Separate files.

This is a big effort but a config file is the right long term solution.

For which use case? management-full or management-less?

A managed system will want to supply arguments out of a central database. For a management-less use case, the config file is a hassle.