qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Extending qemu_irq for reset signals

From: Paul Brook
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Extending qemu_irq for reset signals
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 18:21:16 +0100

> Okay, more explaining. This is the case where I'd want to use the
> signal: DMA controller ("upstream") can reset the slave device (ESP or
> Lance). DMA controller is created first and I also want to allocate
> reset signals at that point. Later when ESP is created, it should be
> possible to put ESP reset function and opaque data to the signal given
> but this is not possible with current API. Currently the DMA data
> would be passed to qemu_allocate_irqs.

Ah, I see. The problem here is that you've got a cyclic dependency. For DMA
operations the ESP is in charge, so it makes sense to create the subservient
DMA device first. For the reset signals the DMA controller is in charge so
ideally you create the ESP device first. Because the DMA interface is most
complicated, it's probably takes precedence.

I think you need to modify or use sparc32_dma_set_reset_data to take a
qemu_irq rather than a callback and opaque argument. Alternatively you can
move things around a bit and have the sun4m code do something similar. i.e.
the ESP and lance devices return the reset lines, then the sun4m code pokes
into the DMA device state.

Paul