qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Making qemu images executable (and store command line a

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Making qemu images executable (and store command line arguments in them =P)
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 18:11:14 +0200

Am 16.08.2007 um 01:52 schrieb Mark Williamson:

I've missed some of the discussion, but wouldn't tar be an obvious choice? It can expand easily out to a directory hierarchy containing config file and multiple virtual disk files, there are standard tools that can manipulate it
and standard libraries that can be used by Qemu in order to get at the
contents. Only problem I see with this approach is that sparse file handling
might get a bit strange (using real sparse files vs using tar's
represesntation of sparse files vs compatibility with tars that don't support
them!).

Q uses the extension .qvm on an ordinary directory containing an XML configuration file and the image(s), so that double-clicking the directory opens the guest with Q. Can GNOME/KDE only do that for files so that an archive is necessary?

Andreas