qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] merging kqemu into mainline kernel?

From: Sunil Amitkumar Janki
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] merging kqemu into mainline kernel?
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:19:16 +0200

dragoran wrote:
It looks like you are right.  Apparently the plan is to move the
acceptance of kernel modules to kernel maintainers.  For the most part,
they only want to accept very cleanly written modules that are likely to
be integrated into the kernel.  Since "kqemu" is viewed as a solution
only for obsolete hardware, that is not likely to happen.
I am not sure that working on older hardware will keep it out of the kernel. it adds support for unsupported hardware .... I don't see a problem here.
 It is a shame
too, because "kqemu" provides a quality working solution for most of the
hardware still in use today.

we should atleast try to get it in ... the "it wont get merged anyway" attitude isn't very helpfull.

I hope the kqemu module could be either updated and merged as it is or
its functionality, i.e. not hardware assisted acceleration, integrated into
the kvm module (if possible). The latter would be an adequate solution
for x86, but what about other architectures?

Over the past few months I have added both MIPS and SPARC based
systems to my collection and I would like to have some kind of acceleration
of guests for those as well, short of recreating VMware for both.

The operating system running on all architectures is the same, so why
support one over the other? I understand x86 is the dominant architecture
for general purpose computing at the moment, but UltraSPARC T1/T2,
Loongson, Cell and future IA64 processors are changing all of that.

Sunil