qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] e1000 emulation

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] e1000 emulation
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 10:57:05 -0500

On Sun, 2007-08-26 at 00:18 +0300, Dan Aloni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is anyone interested in a patch for an unstable, though working e1000
> emulation for
> QEMU? It is aimed for this chip-set version:

Yes!  The e1000 has a lot of interesting features that should make it
emulation friendly.

> 0e:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82573L Gigabit Ethernet
> Controller
>
> I originally created it very recently to provide a virtual NIC that
> supports Jumbo
> packets. Unfortunately it appears that the tun driver doesn't implement
> change_mtu() so it didn't integrate very well with qemu-kvm.

If it proves useful, then there's no reason the tun driver can't be
changed.  Were you expecting to get a significant performance boost with
jumbo frames or was this just a functionality thing?  The current
emulated nic performance is pretty bad...

Regards,

Anthony Liguori