qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [et-mgmt-tools] Image Corruption Possible with qemu

From: Paul Jakma
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [et-mgmt-tools] Image Corruption Possible with qemu and qemu-kvm
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:58:25 +0100 (IST)

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007, Anthony Liguori wrote:

I think this is the right level myself.  Advisory locks work okay but
not all filesystems support them.  It's particularly nasty when you have
a clustered filesystem in the host.  I think it would do more harm than
good to have a feature like that was supposed to provide a safe-guard
but then frequently didn't work.

Are you trying to say that any kind of significant portion of QEMU users have clustered file-systems?

I think that's unlikely, and it'd be nice if QEMU by default did a fcntl() on writeable image files to lock itself from multiple access, that'd benefit the vast majority of users.

Let the 0.x% of users who need to run with weird/esoteric fses cope..

regards,
--
Paul Jakma      address@hidden  address@hidden  Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: