qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: PATCH, RFC: Generic DMA framework

From: Blue Swirl
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: PATCH, RFC: Generic DMA framework
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 17:53:31 +0300

On 9/8/07, Paul Brook <address@hidden> wrote:
> > From DMA2.txt, NCR89C100.txt, NCR89C105.txt and turbosparc.pdf I
> > gather the following:
> > - CPU and IOMMU always perform slave accesses
> > - Slave accesses use the 28-bit address bus to select the device
>
> I thought device selection was separate from the 28-bit SBus slave address
> space. ie. each device has exclusive ownership of the whole 28-bit address
> space, and it's effectively just multiplexing per-slave busses over a single
> electrical connection.

At least the NCR slave devices use SBus bus signals for device select.
I don't know whether this applies generally.

> > - Slave accesses are not translated by IOMMU
> > - NCR master devices (Lance, ESP) use an internal DREQ-style signal to
> > indicate their need for DMA to their DMA controller
> > - Master accesses use the 32-bit SBus data signals for both address and
> > data - DMA controller is the master for NCR89C100+NCR89C105 combination -
> > Master accesses are translated and controlled by IOMMU
> > - Slave devices may or may not support master access cycles (not
> > supported in the NCR case)
> > - IOMMU can give direct bus access for "intelligent masters" (no devices
> > known)
> >
> > We could model this using two buses: A slave bus between the CPU and
> > the devices, and a master bus between devices and IOMMU. The slave bus
> > translates the 36-bit CPU/memory bus addresses to 28-bit SBus bus
> > addresses. The master bus uses IOMMU to translate 32-bit DVMA
> > addresses to 36-bit CPU/memory bus addresses. Slave devices are
> > connected to the slave bus and DREQs. Master devices and DMA
> > controllers take the DREQs and both buses. Devices register the
> > address ranges they serve on each bus.
>
> IIUC devices never register addresses on the master bus. The only thing that
> responds on that bus is the IOMMU.

Generally yes, but these "intelligent masters" and their targets would
register on on both buses. The only case I can only think of is a
video grabber, it's frame memory could be accessed directly by other
IO devices.

> > On Sun4c (without IOMMU) there would be just one bus for both purposes
> > (with the MMU quirk).
> >
> > For the Sparc64 PCI bus which has an IOMMU, a similar dual bus
> > arrangement would be needed. On PC/PPC systems the two buses would be
> > again one.
>
> PCI shouldn't need a dual bus setup. You just have one bus for PCI and one bus
> for CPU/memory.

Then how would Sparc64 IOMMU intercept the device DMA? I'd think that
PCI bus mastering works similarly as in SBus, or doesn't it?

> IMHO the whole point of having a generic bus infrastructure is that we can
> define address mapping in terms of [asymmetric] translations from one bus
> address space to another. This isolates teh device from needing to care about
> bridges and IOMMu.
>
> If we're assuming 1:1 or symmetric address space mapping there doesn't seem
> much point modelling separate busses. Instead push everything into the device
> registration and DMA routines.

Agreed. For Sparc32/64 cases there isn't much choice, there is no symmetry.