qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] expose host CPU features to guests: Take 2

From: Dan Kenigsberg
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] expose host CPU features to guests: Take 2
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 15:01:25 +0300

On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 12:47:51PM +0100, Natalia Portillo wrote:
> I don't see in what is it useful without KVM/KQEMU.

It is not. I tried to be clear about it in my post. Sorry for not being
clearer.

> And even with them there are some instructions that can't be accesible
> without KQEMU/KVM prepared for them.

I suspect this is true. For example, in my patch I blocked ACPI and VMX.
Still, those features that ARE exposed to the guest, speed it up. Isn't
it the Right Thing?

> And, the -cpu option, should be enabled in x86 and x86_64 to
> enable/disable emulation of instructions (and them cpuid adjusted to
> indicate them).

I'm not sure I understand this comment. If you mean that -cpu should not
expose a feature that is not emulated by qemu, I agree.

Regards,

    Dan.