qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Qemu and Linux 2.4

From: ralf
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Qemu and Linux 2.4
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 14:31:53 +0100

On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 03:31:31PM +0300, Vlad Lungu wrote:

> I know some of you will laugh, but:
>
> - QEMU malta emulation is not really complete, to put it mildly
> - the QEMU target is available only for Linux 2.6
> - despite popular opinion, 2.4 ain't dead yet, at least in the embedded
> market

It very much is for new product development.  It's a long time that I've
seen any 2.4-based development being started for new MIPS platforms.  I
basically get zero feedback for 2.4.

The last patch submitted for 2.4 was on 2006-06-15 by Chris Dearman btw.
Everything else since was just backported fixes from newer kernels and I've
given up on that give the overwhelming feedback I keep receiving for 2.4.

> I have a port of the QEMU target for Linux 2.4.34.4 (latest 2.4 kernel
> on linux-mips.org), with NE2000 card working (in both BE and LE modes).
> Still rough at the edges, but it works on stock qemu-0.9.0 with -M mips.

Actually 2.4.35.2 / 2.4.36-pre1 are the latest.

> If anyone is interested, I can send the patch by e-mail. I have no idea
> if I can post attachments to the list(s), that's why it's not attached.

I do take Linux 2.4 patches provided they don't destabilize the 2.4 branch.
The few remaining user expect stability, not a Penguin action movie ;-)
But aside of that, same submission guidelines as for 2.6.

Cheers,

  Ralf