qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu Changelog Makefile Makefile.target TODO ae...

From: J. Mayer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu Changelog Makefile Makefile.target TODO ae...
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 23:46:36 +0200

On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 23:14 +0200, Luca wrote:
> On 9/17/07, Andreas Färber <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > since I mentionned "you should have used Git", I'll repeat:
> > > this commit was not disruptive to any of the Git users, and will
> > > never be.
> > >
> > > Evolve, or prepare to be assimilated into the Collective...
> >
> > Both the qemu.org and the Savannah project page only mention CVS. If
> > there are better ways to get the code then inform your users how to
> > use that.

> http://brick.kernel.dk/git/?p=qemu.git;a=summary
> It's tracking QEMU CVS; you're right that it's not mentioned anywhere
> on the site (AFAICS).
> You can also DIY with git-cvsimport; see e.g.
> http://chneukirchen.org/blog/archive/2006/04/tracking-the-ruby-cvs-with-git.html

Another point is CVS is an industry standard. It has many drawbacks but
is prooven to do its job as specified in a very reliable way. For now,
not such a thing for git, afaik. If it ever become the new industry
standard, after having prooven its reliability and long term stability,
then you may be able to expect everyone to use it.
Did anyone has done a long term comparison of CVS and git running on two copies
of the
same production repository and have made sure that any extraction at any
time of any data (ie, checkout in the present and any date in the past,
diffs, ...) of the two gives exactly the same result ? Please show me
such studies and I may reconsider my position... If not, you can always
use it, closing your eyes and praying for everything to be OK...

Regards.

--
J. Mayer <address@hidden>
Never organized