qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: linux user problems

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: linux user problems
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 23:10:02 +0100

On Monday 17 September 2007, J. Mayer wrote:
> It seems to me that there are many problems in linux-user/syscall.c
> - problems for 64 bits targets:
> it seems that do_syscall and child functions should take target_long /
> target_ulong arguments instead of long / unsigned long. This would make
> a chance for 64 bits targets to be ran on 32 bits hosts (even if, yes,
> there would also be other problems to fix elsewhere...).

IIRC most of code predates target_long. I'm surprised 64-bit targets work at
all.

> there should be a target_short definition: are we sure short on the host
> is always the same size than target_short ?

Short is the same 16-bit type on every host or target we're even vaguely
likely to care about.

I can only think of one system (a weird and fairly obscure DSP) where this is
not true. You'd definitely not be running linux, and almost certainly not be
running qemu on it.

Paul