qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-system-m68k and booting m68k images

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-system-m68k and booting m68k images
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 02:15:25 -0500

On Wednesday 10 October 2007 10:20:41 pm Ian Graeme Hilt wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 06:20:57PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> > On Saturday 06 October 2007 8:59:02 pm Ian Graeme Hilt wrote:
> > > Two questions:
> > >
> > > 1. Why does qemu-system-m68k require a kernel image?
> >
> > I'd actually be pretty happy if I could figure out which kernel image I
> > could build that the sucker would boot.
>
> Have you tried
>
> <http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/coldfire-test-0.1.tar.bz2>

Er, yes.  "coldfire".  Not m68k.  Says so right on the tin.

Back in July, Andreas Schwab posted a patch to upgrade the coldfire support to
full m68k support (or at least the instructions output by gcc):
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2007-07/msg00015.html

I thought it would have been merged by now (or that there would at least be
some kind of follow up on it), but apparently not.

Coldfire is a subset of m68k (plus some weird floating point instructions and
probably some other stuff).  There doesn't seem to be a way to get a coldfire
toolchain from unmodified gcc source code, instead you go download a
different gcc source tarball from code sourcery:
http://www.codesourcery.com/gnu_toolchains/coldfire

If there's a way to build a coldfire toolchain from the gcc 4.1.2 release,
Google isn't finding it.  gcc 4.1.2 was released Febuary 13, 2007, and the
gcc developers announced the integration of coldfire support on March 9, 2007
so maybe it's in 4.2...

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.