qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-system-m68k and booting m68k images

From: Ian Graeme Hilt
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-system-m68k and booting m68k images
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 15:10:52 -0400

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 02:15:25AM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 October 2007 10:20:41 pm Ian Graeme Hilt wrote:

> > > I'd actually be pretty happy if I could figure out which kernel image I
> > > could build that the sucker would boot.
> >
> > Have you tried
> >
> > <http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/coldfire-test-0.1.tar.bz2>
>
> Er, yes.  "coldfire".  Not m68k.  Says so right on the tin.

Ok.

In my case, the target's processor is a MC68030 with a VME bus.
It was built by Microware back in the late 80s to early 90s and
has OSK (OS-9 for a MC680x0) installed.

> Back in July, Andreas Schwab posted a patch to
> upgrade the coldfire support to full m68k support
> (or at least the instructions output by gcc):
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2007-07/msg00015.html
>
> I thought it would have been merged by now (or that there would
> at least be some kind of follow up on it), but apparently not.

I've tried building QEmu current with gcc-3.4.6 and this patch
applied.  qemu-system-m68k hung when attempting to boot the kernel
image in coldfire-test-0.1.tar.bz2.

[...]

> If there's a way to build a coldfire toolchain from the gcc 4.1.2
> release, Google isn't finding it.  gcc 4.1.2 was released Febuary
> 13, 2007, and the gcc developers announced the integration of
> coldfire support on March 9, 2007 so maybe it's in 4.2...

I think the Linux kernel supports a MC68030 and the VME option.
Even if gcc was capable of creating a kernel image for this
specific arch, I don't think this would help me(?) since I want
to boot the OSK OS floppy and harddrive images.

I've used OS9Exec from sourceforge to boot these images and it
works rather well.  A problem with it is when an OS9 command tries
to access hardware a bus error is generated.

The reason I was inquiring about the rationale behind the kernel
image is that I was going to try writing code to boot the floppy
images I have with QEmu.  Unfortunately I have very little
programming experience, so any information is helpful.

--
Ian Graeme Hilt