qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Pending Disk I/O requests during live VM migration

From: Kaushik Bhandankar
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Pending Disk I/O requests during live VM migration
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 18:00:43 -0400

In ioemu/vl.c: do_savevm(), before saving the current VM state for live VM migration (qemu_savevm_state()), it calls qemu_aio_flush() in ioemu/block-raw.c. Now qemu_aio_flush() internally calls qemu_aio_poll() where we loop through the linked list of RawAIOCB structures and remove the request (qemu_aio_release()) only if the request is CANCELED or NOT IN PROGRESS.

I am not really sure then why ioemu/hw/ide.c:pci_ide_save() has a comment saying "If a transfer is pending, we do not save it yet". Looking at qemu_aio_poll() doesn't seem to indicate so...

Also, looking at /usr/include/aio.h sees to suggest that the pending requests get stored in the aio_buf of "struct aiocb" structure. Do the responses to these requests go in the same buffer (in which case the aio_buf and aio_nbytes would get overwritten by the response) ??

any help in this regard would be helful.

-Kaushik