qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Unable to Run Gprof Successfully on QEMU

From: Atoosaah S
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Unable to Run Gprof Successfully on QEMU
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 01:00:14 -0700

I'd appreciate any input on how to run gprof successfully on qemu. I'm new to gprof and am probably missing some steps.  I successfully ran gprof on a sorting program available online, then I attempted to run gprof on qemu.

Here are the steps I take:

I'm trying to run gprof on qemu, but am unsuccessful. my os is linux, my qemu version is 0.8.2. I configure qemu with the options "configure --prefix=/install_path --enable-gprof. Then I make and make install. I run qemu successfully using the options /install_path/qemu -hda diskimage.img -m 256 which results in the gmon.out file. My run of qemu involved starting the image (virtual linux OS), running a few simple commands and shutting the image down.

Finally, I run gprof /intsall_path/qemu gmon.out > result.txt which gives the error: gprof: file 'qemu' has no symbols'

Are there any other configuration options required? Should the image be run with differently?

thank you,
atoosaah