qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: reverse-endian softmmu memory accessors

From: J. Mayer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: reverse-endian softmmu memory accessors
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 12:14:23 +0200

On Sun, 2007-10-14 at 11:19 +0300, Blue Swirl wrote:
> On 10/14/07, J. Mayer <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > I think that if it was previously correct, it should still be, but... I
> > > don't know how much having 64 bits I/O accesses is interresting, as I
> > > don't know if there are real hw buses that have 64 bits data path...
> > >
> > > Here's another version taking care of your remark about ldl memory
> > > accessors.
> > > * I replaced all ldl occurences with ldul
> > > * when TARGET_LONG_BITS == 64, I also added ldsl accessors. And I
> > > started using it in the PowerPC memory access micro-ops.
> > > Then the patch is really more invasive than the previous ones.
> > > This still does not break PowerPC or i386 target, as it seems.
> >
> > Here's a new version. The only change is that, for consistency, I did
> > add the big-endian and little-endian accessors that were documented in
> > cpu-all.h as unimplemented. The implementation is quite trivial, having
> > native and reverse-endian accessors available, and changes functionnally
> > nothing to the previous version.
>
> The patch does not apply anymore. The Sparc part looks OK.
>
> The benefits from the patch can be gained by mapping Sparc64 lduw and
> ldsw in op_mem.h  directly to ldul and ldsl using SPARC_LD_OP and
> replacing the ldl+bswap etc. for the LE cases with ldlr in
> op_helper.c. If you prefer, I can do this after you have applied the
> patch.

Yes, there are conflicts between this patch and the mmu_idx one I just
commited. I will regenerate an updated diff in the hours to come, after
I finished commiting the PowerPC fixes and improvments I got waiting in
stock.
For the Sparc improvments, as I merged the PowerPC improvments in the
patch, I think it can be a good idea to include it directly in the
patch.
I'm also wondering if it would not be a good idea to define lduq/ldsq
even if they in fact do exactly what ldq does now, just to have a fully
consistent API.

--
J. Mayer <address@hidden>
Never organized