qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] I got a kernel booted under qemu-system-ppc !

From: J. Mayer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] I got a kernel booted under qemu-system-ppc !
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 01:46:01 +0200

On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 19:12 -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> The easy way to reproduce this is go to "http://landley.net/hg/firmware";,
> download tip, and "./build.sh powerpc".  When it finishes building
> everything, cd build and "./run-powerpc.sh".

[...]

> The downside is that the result boots fine under qemu-0.9.0, but is broken
> with current cvs.  I tracked it down to the specific patch with "git bisect",
> and it's this one:
>
> http://git.kernel.dk/?p=qemu.git;a=commit;h=36f447f730f61ac413c5b1c4a512781f5dea0c94
>
> author  j_mayer <j_mayer>
>       Mon, 9 Apr 2007 22:45:36 +0000 (22:45 +0000)
> committer  j_mayer <j_mayer>
>       Mon, 9 Apr 2007 22:45:36 +0000 (22:45 +0000)

What is strange is that it was reported as unable to boot long before
this patch. It was broken when the Qemu PCI architecture has been
redesigned and have never been reported booting since then (2 years ago,
if I remember well). In march 2007, I did test and reported that PreP
and heathrow target were unable to boot, not receiving any IRQ from PCI
(in fact, adding traces proves there are even no IRQ generated in the
PCI code). Someone reported the faulty patch during this summer (but
I've not been unable to find the mail in the mailing list archive
tonight).
I have to admit I never put the focus on trying to solve this issue, has
I usually use Mac99 or PowerPC 405 targets for tests and that PreP
machines are long obsolete and the heathrow target does not reflect any
real machine. But this is to be solved, for sure.

--
J. Mayer <address@hidden>
Never organized