qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] I got a kernel booted under qemu-system-ppc !

From: Aurelien Jarno
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] I got a kernel booted under qemu-system-ppc !
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 17:03:58 +0200

Rob Landley a écrit :
> The easy way to reproduce this is go to "http://landley.net/hg/firmware";,
> download tip, and "./build.sh powerpc".  When it finishes building
> everything, cd build and "./run-powerpc.sh".
>
> What I did is build a new ppc_rom.bin (attached, source code is at
> http://landley.net/hg/firmware/raw-diff/92f89c9c9495/sources/toys/make-ppc_rom.tar.bz2
>  )
> which was written by Milton Miller.  I use that firmware as the boot rom
> (point -L at the directory it's in) instead of Open Hackware, which still
> doesn't work for me.
>
> Then I build a 2.6.23 kernel with this patch:
> http://landley.net/hg/firmware/raw-diff/fdb6ddd4c3b7/sources/patches/linux-ppcqemu.patch
> which adds a "qemu" target.
>
> I then boot with the following command line (modulo wordwrap damage):
>
> qemu-system-ppc -M prep -nographic -hda image-powerpc.ext2 -kernel
>   zImage-powerpc -append 'rw init=/tools/bin/sh panic=1 PATH=/tools/bin
>   root=/dev/hda console=ttyS0' -L ../sources/toys
>
> And I get a shell prompt inside qemu!  (After almost _two_years_ of trying,
> I'm kind of happy about this.)

It also works here (with a Debian chroot). Thanks a lot for this work!

> The downside is that the result boots fine under qemu-0.9.0, but is broken
> with current cvs.  I tracked it down to the specific patch with "git bisect",
> and it's this one:
>
> http://git.kernel.dk/?p=qemu.git;a=commit;h=36f447f730f61ac413c5b1c4a512781f5dea0c94
>
> author  j_mayer <j_mayer>
>       Mon, 9 Apr 2007 22:45:36 +0000 (22:45 +0000)
> committer  j_mayer <j_mayer>
>       Mon, 9 Apr 2007 22:45:36 +0000 (22:45 +0000)
>
>  Implement embedded IRQ controller for PowerPC 6xx/740 & 750.
>  Fix PowerPC external interrupt input handling and lowering.
>  Fix OpenPIC output pins management.
>  Fix multiples bugs in OpenPIC IRQ management.
>  Fix OpenPIC CPU(s) reset function.
>  Fix Mac99 machine to properly route OpenPIC outputs to the PowerPC input
> pins.
>  Fix PREP machine to properly route i8259 output to the PowerPC external
>    interrupt pin.

It looks like the interrupts are (partly) broken even with QEMU 0.9.0. I
have tried to enable the NE2000 ISA card in the kernel (a small tweak is
needed in a KConfig a file), but I wasn't successful.

The card is not fully detected when the module is loaded, so I had to
give the IRQ number by hand. Then the ethernet device is recognized, the
MAC address is also recognized, but when I want to transmit data I only
get timeout messages from the kernel...

--
  .''`.  Aurelien Jarno             | GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
 `. `'   address@hidden         | address@hidden