qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu alpha?

From: Oliver Falk
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu alpha?
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 09:43:06 +0200

On 10/21/2007 01:06 PM, J. Mayer wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-10-21 at 05:43 -0500, Rob Landley wrote:

>>> There are a lot of things missing for qemu-system-alpha to be available:
>>> - the PALCode emulation is far from being complete or even usable
>> I have no idea what that is.
>
> The PALCode is mainly equivalent to the microcode of most CPU
> architectures. What is different to microcode is that is uses only
> regular Alpha instructions, just adding 4 instructions to access special
> "hardware registers" and access the memory with different priviledge
> levels. Another main idea is that everyone can write its own PALCode
> image and switch to it at run-time. Then, for example, the PALCode ABI
> is not the same one if you run Linux or Windows NT. The PALCode handles
> all complex operations. For example, the CPU provides only TLB and the
> MMU tables search is actually implemented in software, in the PALCode.
> This greatly simplifies the CPU design and allows a high level of
> flexibility. And if your OS need a specific ABI for example to handle
> CPU exception, you define your ABI, write the PALCode using Alpha insns
> and use it ! The Alpha CPU also provide an instruction to do PALCode
> calls from the OS or applications.
> There are 3 (4 ?) "native" PALCode ABIs documented in the Alpha CPUs
> specifications then those can be emulated at the host side in Qemu. It
> is in fact needed to emulate a subset of the PALCode even to run
> user-mode programs.

Pretty good explained! Thanks!

However, what do you need to make the alpha emulation work? Does ssh to
an Alpha help you? I'm quite sure I can offer you access to some ev5
machine very soon and I might give access to some ds10 (ev67 machine).
There's also some ds10 (ev6 'only') machine in Australia, that actually
works as a builder for the AlphaCore project - but it's not mine and I
would need to ask if I can give access to someone else...

-of