qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] PreP kernels boot using Qemu

From: J. Mayer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] PreP kernels boot using Qemu
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 00:36:12 +0200

On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 00:05 +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> J. Mayer a écrit :

[...]
> >> - The "floating point" problem I reported during the week-end does
> not
> >>   exists, probably because of the switch from powerpc to ppc. I
> still
> >>   don't know if it is a kernel problem or a QEMU problem (or both).
> >
> > There may be issues with the floating point emulation, especially if
> > some kernel or programs relies on the FPSCR (floating-point status)
> > register which is never updated in Qemu.
> >

> Is there any technical reason behind that, or is it just a lack of
> time?

I can say  both:
for most program, using floating point arithmetic ala "fast-math", it's
not necessary to maintain a precise FPU state, as those program will
never raise any FPU exception, never generate NaNs, infinites, ...
The other reason is that it would need to check every FPU insn arguments
and results at run time and treat all special cases following the actual
PowerPC implementations behavior if we want to get a precise emulation.
This behavior could be for example selected at compile time: then one
would have the choice to have a quick FPU emulation model or a precise
one.

--
J. Mayer <address@hidden>
Never organized