qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-i386 does not start on x86_64 or i686

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-i386 does not start on x86_64 or i686
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 14:15:48 -0500

On Thursday 25 October 2007 8:19:55 pm Thayne Harbaugh wrote:
> Ick.  There's some funky magic going on in qemu/x86_64.ld and the above
> patch is a hack-around.  The segfault is caused by preinit_array
> function pointers (which are NULL) being dereferenced.  This is a great
> opportunity for you to put your super-sleuth skills to work and figure
> out the details and fix it. 8^)

I did.  "rm /usr/local/bin/qemu-i386:

My build system only tries to use application emulation as a smoke test on the
cross compiler (build a static "hello world" for the target and see if you
get hello world) if the relevant qemu-$target exists.  If the relevant
qemu-$target isn't there (ala qemu-x86_64) then the test is automatically
skipped.

99% of what I use qemu for is system emulation, and that works fine for me.
I'm happy to test out other people's fixes for this, but by response to the
weird prelinking logic would probably be "rip it all out", and I suspect it's
there for a reason.

Most of the qemu developers seem to be happy if it works on their machines.
Thus obscure things nobody uses (like gcc 4.x and Ubuntu 7.04) fall through
the cracks.  If there was a stable release coming I might take a little more
interest in solving this problem before then, but the last few times I asked
there were no plans for such.

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.