qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] compiling qemu on ubuntu under parallels

From: Tim Leek
Subject: [Qemu-devel] compiling qemu on ubuntu under parallels
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 15:13:41 -0400

Okay I'm having another go at you folk.  Again, please feel free to shunt me off in the proper direction when I get annoying.

According to Andreas, intel macs can't compile the QEMU source as-is.  I'd need to use Q which only works because it has been patched to accommodate gcc-4.  I've tried this and it works.  A script applies a bunch of patches and the resulting Q app works properly.

But I am a little worried about working with a forked source tree.  We are building instrumentation for computer security research that will sit on top of QEMU.  Thus, we'd like to have it as close and compatible as possible to the original QEMU source.

So ... I tried compiling QEMU on an Ubuntu install running under Parallels.  Yes, I know this sounds ridiculous.  In many ways, it is ridiculous.  But it should work,right?  Compiled fine, once I forced it to use gcc-3.3.  However, I was shocked when the resulting qemu executable didn't *run*.  It complains about being unable to initialize SDL.  So then I tried compiling and running the test programs provided with SDL (testalpha, e.g.).  These also compile fine but don't run, generating the same SDL initialization error.  Very annoying.

What's up?  Has anyone tried this perverse trick of trying to run QEMU under parallels?  I think Parallels might use SDL somewhere under the curtain, but I'm not sure why this would mean user-space programs linked against libsdl would break.  Perhaps I need to send this email to the Parallels people.

On a similar note, has anyone tried to compile and run QEMU under VMWare on a mac?

Thanks for all the help.

-Tim

Begin forwarded message: