qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Shared VNC sessions

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Shared VNC sessions
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 22:01:27 +0000

On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 03:49:42PM -0600, Felipe Sanchez wrote:

> Hi, in older versions of the RFB patch it was possible to connect multiple
> VNC clients to the VNC framebuffer. With the current VNC support if I have
> one connected client then any other trying to connect will block until the
> first one disconnects.

That is correct. I had a patch floating around somewhere to immediately
drop the second connection instead of making it block forever, so at least
client don't hang.

> After a quick look at vnc.c it seems that the incoming connections are
> handled via qemu's fd_handler function which I'm guessing is where the
> blocking takes place, but I'm not really familiar with qemu's code so any
> help would be greatly appreciated  :-)

The blocking isn't really anything todo with the fd handlers - the event
loop can handle this kind of thing just fine. The problem is that the
VNC server state is only capable of tracking dirty region updates for
a single client at once. To support multiple clients will require some
significant refactoring of the server state. Not impossible, but not a
quick fix either. It just needs someone motivated enough to poke at it....

> Also: Does qemu's current VNC implementation support tight encoding?

No. Raw or hextile.

Dan.