qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How to split vl.h

From: J. Mayer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How to split vl.h
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 18:23:57 +0100

On Sun, 2007-11-04 at 12:17 +0000, Paul Brook wrote:
> > I have another solution: include all architecture specific files from
> > the main file.
>
> I'd really rather not do this. I doubt it's going to be a win, as now you
> have
> to recompile the whole thing every time you change the implementation. At
> least with vl.h you only have to recompile when you change the interface.

What I feel about this is that adding a hw/hw.h, included in all hw/*.c
files would greatly improve the situation: changing vl.h would lead to
recompile the core emulator object files, changing hw/hw.h would lead to
recompile the hardware library.
A first pass to do this could be achieved with a minimal effort, just
moving all prototypes and structure definitions that could be moved
without having to change vl.c. Then, things could be refined to move
some hardware specific stuffs from vl.c to hw subdirectory: for example,
the USB or display registration functions could go in a file in hw which
would avoid USBDevice or DisplayState to be defined globally.

--
J. Mayer <address@hidden>
Never organized