qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Removal of some target CPU macros

From: Bernhard Fischer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Removal of some target CPU macros
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 00:12:56 +0100

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 11:55:26PM +0100, Fabrice Bellard wrote:

>Why not adding a new CPU type such as "PPC970 with hypervisor" and keep
>the current PPC970 implementation as it is without the hypervisor mode.
>I don't see the problem in replacing the ifdefs with a new CPU model !
>You cannot reasonnably tell that it is uglier than the current code.

IMHO same for i386sx. Without an FPU there is just no FPU. Without
486-specific instructions (or i586 etc. for that matter), the machine is
just constrained to the one requested by the user.

The fact that usually too many non ISA-imposed features are available
without explicit user choice is very, very unfortunate, IMO.
As always, features are or may be nice, iff and only if you are not
forced to have or use them..