qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] ES1370 problems with Win98SE

From: malc
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] ES1370 problems with Win98SE
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 22:01:07 +0300 (MSK)

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007, Kyle Kilpatrick wrote:

Hello. First, let me say that I realize this is not exactly the place for this. Non-developer problems with Qemu should go on the Qemu forum... But they're down right now, so please bear with me here. I apologize for taking up all you developers' time.

I have a Windows Vista host (I know, mistake # 1) running Win98SE as a guest. I launch QEMU with QEMU Manager instead of the command line. The only problem I have is the sound. Win98SE correctly recognizes the SB16 emulated card and it works... But there's a lot of interference in the wave sound (haven't tried midi yet). Not to say that the SB16 emulation is bad or anything, it's probably that Vista's revamped sound system is screwing things up. But anyway, I went into Qemu manager and disabled the SB16 emulation and activated the ES1370 emulation... But Win98 will not recognize the emulated ES1370 card, it doesn't even see it. I tried downloading the corresponding driver from Creative's site, and while the driver appeared to install correctly, Win98 still does not see the card. What am I doing wrong?

a) Where did you get QEMU binary from?
b) This is the driver that was used debug Win98 es1370 issues:
   http://franklinschools.nls.k12.la.us/download/drivers/audiopci.zip

If the binary you are using is compiled without DirectSound support
then all hope for any kine of semi-decent audio quality is lost.

If the card is absent from Windows device manager (and all the correct
command line parameters are in place), then either es1370 emulator or
audio subsystem should have provided a log message. I never used QEMU
Manager, but i suspect that it might hide all the logging from you.

To proceed:
a) Don't use QEMU manager
b) Ensure that card is present in the device manager
c) Ensure that QEMU uses DirectSound driver
d) Use the driver from aforementioned audiopci.zip
e) Read http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/Audio-en.html
f) If all else fails collect more information and fiddle around
   with -audio-help

--
mailto:address@hidden