qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu Questions

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu Questions
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 22:34:13 -0500

Forgot to add.
I gave up on virt-install long ago due to the fact that it cannot configure a guest on FC7.
I just used the qemu command line instructions and switches and it worked flawlessly to install 98/ME/XP/DOS and whatsoever.

These run on 4 core Rackservers.
See below at Appendix:

Configuring DHCP in virt-manager doesnt work at all, the windows guest searches by means of DHCP for an IP address, but nothing is forwarded.
Can it also work without having to set DHCP with virt manager?
Is the DHCP daemon on the Linux host not sufficient?

Appendix:----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FYI
I get the following errors: and virt-install seems broken on FC-7 as I can successfully install with qemu CLI.

address@hidden ~]# virt-install
What is the name of your virtual machine? WinME-1
How much RAM should be allocated (in megabytes)? 1000
What would you like to use as the disk (path)? /home/xen/winme.img
How large would you like the disk (/home/xen/winme.img) to be (in gigabytes)? 3
Would you like to enable graphics support? (yes or no) yes
What is the install location? /dev/scd0

Starting install...
libvir: Xen Daemon error : GET operation failed:
Invalid file location given: No such file or directory
Domain installation may not have been
successful.  If it was, you can restart your domain
by running 'virsh start WinME-1'; otherwise, please
restart your installation.
Thu, 08 Nov 2007 07:25:03 ERROR    Invalid file location given: No such file or directory
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/sbin/virt-install", line 474, in <module>
  main()
File "/usr/sbin/virt-install", line 438, in main
  dom = guest.start_install(conscb,progresscb)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 706, in start_install
  self._prepare_install(meter)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/ParaVirtGuest.py", line 45, in _prepare_install
  self._installer.prepare(guest = self, meter = meter)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/DistroManager.py", line 678, in prepare
  self._prepare_kernel_and_initrd(guest, distro, meter)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/DistroManager.py", line 648, in _prepare_kernel_and_initrd
  distro = distro)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/DistroManager.py", line 578, in acquireKernel
  progresscb=progresscb, distro=distro, scratchdir=scratchdir)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/DistroManager.py", line 561, in _storeForDistro
  if store.isValidStore(fetcher, progresscb):
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/DistroManager.py", line 213, in isValidStore
  if fetcher.hasFile("Fedora", progresscb):
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/DistroManager.py", line 160, in hasFile
  tmpfile = self.acquireFile(filename, progresscb)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/DistroManager.py", line 150, in acquireFile
  raise ValueError, _("Invalid file location given: ") + msg
ValueError: Invalid file location given: No such file or directory
You have mail in /var/spool/mail/root
address@hidden ~]#