qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Access to serial port, guest> DOS | host >WinXP

From: Dieter Blaas
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Access to serial port, guest> DOS | host >WinXP
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 07:57:02 +0100

Thanks a lot for these hints! I'll try as soon as I get linux up and running. Badly enough I do not have much experience with this OS.
regards, Dieter

Date sent:               Wed, 14 Nov 2007 13:04:10 -0500
From:                       "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
To:                            address@hidden, qemu- address@hidden

Dieter, believe it or not, but I had very good results with dos programs accessing serial ports with Wine (Way better than $VMWARE).
If you get Runtime error 200 it is a C run-time error that can be fixed, which was all I had to do.
I used SuSE-8 at the time. I personally dont really like wine, but it does the job  with some Dos programs better than the expense of Vmware.
I still run some very tricky dos programs that way. Doing it all on Qemu would be WAY nicer.
I am currently also looking at Qemu for better port access in general or to develop myself what is lacking to access ports.
If you want to try the wine option let me know and I can walk you through it.
You can contact me off-list at my email-address.

Dieter Blaas wrote:

Hi,

 I have a sensor that sends frequency modulated data to the serial port. These data are processed by an old  program running under DOS. This works well up to Win98 (starting the software from command line) but from Win2k on it does not work any more.

So far I have tried VMware, VirtualPC, and DOSBox. All emulate the serial port but the data read in are unreliable or simply wrong most probably due to timing problems at the com port (I am far from being an expert).

 I now tried QUEMU (host: WinXP, guest: DOS). But I even do not receive any data. Does anybody know a solution? If I were able to at least accessing the serial port I could find out whether the data are read in correctly. Or is there no chance that this setup will ever work?

Thanks for hints, Dieter

Dieter Blaas,

Max F. Perutz Laboratories

Medical University of Vienna,

Inst. Med. Biochem., Vienna Biocenter (VBC),

Dr. Bohr Gasse 9/3,

A-1030 Vienna, Austria,

Tel: 0043 1 4277 61630,

Fax: 0043 1 4277 9616,