qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Hardware virtualization with QEMU

From: address@hidden
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Hardware virtualization with QEMU
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 21:38:46 -0500

From the slackbook WIKI;

"http://alien.slackbook.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=slackware:qemu";

I quote below which relates to my questions:

My questions are as follows:
1) I know -hdc and -cdrom cannot be called at the same time, but i have
no luck getting an image to be mounted with -hdb or -hdd. The same image
I can successfully mount with -cdrom cannot be mounted with either -hdb
or -hdd, What's up there. I could not figure out from the manuals if
these should just be dd'ed images a directory or iso?

2) Are floppy images restricted to exactly 1.44MB created with dd? I
cannot mount anything with the floppy switches either which is probably
a size constraint I dont meet.

3) Since USB is seemingly working, what would the command be to activate
the usb driver ?
-usb Intel SB82371    or -usb SB82371  ?

4) What is the attainable USB speed? Full USB-1 ?

5) Are the serial and parallel ports running at native speed without
delays?

Emulated hardware and supported Guest OS-es

The QEMU Virtual Machine emulates a set of hardware components that is
independent of the real hardware on which it is running. Since Slackware
runs on x86 architecture, I will limit myself to a list of emulated
hardware available to Slack (other emulated architectures may have other
hardware peripherals available to the Guest OS).

    *
      IDE-Controller supporting up to 4 drives (the drives are disk
images on the host computer
    *
      IDE CDROM device (in the form of a CD ISO image, or a real CDROM
device)
    *
      Floppy disk controller supporting up to 2 drives (floppy disk images)
    *
      Graphics card (either a Cirrus Logic GD5446 PCI, or VGA-VESA)
    *
      PS/2 Mouse
    *
      Ethernet network card (Realtek RTL8139 PCI or NE2000 PCI)
    *
      A serial port (COM 1)
    *
      A parallel port (LPT 1)
    *
      Soundcard (Soundblaster 16 and/or ES1370)
    *
      A USB-UHCI host controller (the Intel SB82371)

The list of Operating Systems that run inside QEMU is quite long. Here
is an unofficial list of supported Guest OS-es. I have run various
Linuxes (for x68 and x86_64) and Windows 98/2000/XP inside QEMU.