qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] QEMU Dbus support - a proposal management API

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] QEMU Dbus support - a proposal management API
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:15:54 -0600

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 08:51:32AM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
Dor Laor wrote:
Laurent Vivier wrote:
Le mardi 11 décembre 2007 à 10:10 +0100, Fabrice Bellard a écrit :
Hi,
Hi,

At this point I am not interested in integrating it into QEMU as it is one more API level to maintain in addition to the command line monitor. However, I can change my mind if several projects insists to have a similar interface.
perhaps the DBUS interface can replace the command line monitor ?
We have just to move the command line interface to a client speaking to
qemu through the DBUS interface.

This is a valid option but the problem is that local user will have to use another tool (client) to send commands. Another option is to have a common backend with machine & user interfaces. For example, if we use dbus as the backend, monitor commands will just be translated into dbus.
The opposite option is also valid.

Anyway, the motivation behind a new interface is that the monitor interface is not good enough for automation: There are not return status for commands, no option for async notifications, no option for parallel actions in case
a command takes long time to complete (like snapshot).
All of these are valid, and addressable. Return statuses can just be added to the beginning of the output of each command (similar to how POP3 works). Async notification can be made to work by add support to the monitor for a "select" command. Semantically, select would block the monitor and then output events. For this to work really well, you would have to support multiple simultaneous monitor sessions. The parallel options for long running commands is already address in KVM with the migration command. We just have to rework the snapshotting to be properly asynchronous.

Or have 2 monitor interaction modes. One mode uses the command line style
suitable for people / scripting languages. The other umode ses a binary XDR
protocol for serializing the args & returns values for formal control
APIs to use in a easy manner. It ought to be reasonably straightforward to
add a binary serialization format for all existing commands

I don't think binary is inherently easier to parse than text provided that some thought is put into the format of the textual output.

I think we just want to levels of verbosity.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Dan.