qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] QEMU Dbus support - a proposal management API

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] QEMU Dbus support - a proposal management API
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:10:25 +0100

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 09:16:43AM +0200, Yuval Kashtan wrote:
- This is very useful when you want to manage and control QEMU, for instance
developing a GUI to attach and detach usb devices or controlling more than
one instance of QEMU from a single management point, receiving parameters
externally and more.

This capability is already possible using the monitor API. I've implemented
it in libvirt, and in virt-manager and can easily hotplug/remove USB devices.
So DBus is not required to do this and does not really make it any easier
to use. DBus is very verbose to use from languages like C, so switching from
the monitor to DBus API would not really help simplify my existing code. On
the other hand, having a library providing a simple client side C API to send & receive monitor commands, would be beneficial

For the short term I think it is better as you said to rely on libvirt which already has some support for QEMU.

As it was suggested, improving the monitor seems the easiest, maybe with an additionnal mode to provide a standardized way to get a return value for each command. Providing an example client code to directly use the monitor seems a good idea too.

Regarding the configuration, I can assure there will be soon a QEMU configuration file. The question is whether it will be included before the next release is out !

Regards,

Fabrice.