qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Will QEUM work for me?

From: Dvorak DDV
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Will QEUM work for me?
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 14:21:41 -0800

Hi all,

I'm trying to find out a virtualization solution to fit our project. Do you think QEUM is the right choice for me?

Host OS: Windows, Max OS X (Intel), Linux (x86 or x86_64), Solaris (Optional)

Guest OS: Scientific Linux 3 or 4 (x86, the option to support 64bit and SMP in the future will be good). It should be enough if the users can only see text GUI of the guest os.

UseCases:
Basic: centrally generated images are distributed to the end users running different Host OS. End users run the OS on this image to do their work. (Order of thousands of users) The reason we are seeking virtualization is that the code (Linux) is not easily portable to Windows and Mac OS while the users need to do their work on their own laptops.

Grid: Centrally generated images are distributed to different nodes on the GRID. Computing jobs are run on these "GRID of virtual machines" (Order of tens of thousands of CPUs)

        Many thanks for any income.

-Dvorak