qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Patch 1/2] switch support v2

From: Armin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Patch 1/2] switch support v2
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 13:10:12 -1000

Laurent Vivier wrote:
Le mardi 18 décembre 2007 à 08:40 -1000, Armin a écrit :
Laurent Vivier wrote:
Le lundi 17 décembre 2007 à 09:40 -1000, Armin a écrit :
Laurent Vivier wrote:
Hi,

if you just want to configure which bank to use with pflash, perhaps you
can do something like:

qemu -drive if=pflash,unit=0

to use the first bank, and

qemu -drive if=pflash,unit=1

to use the second bank.
Yes, that might work for the flash case but does not address other switches settings. In my case, the Mainstone has two rotary switches that define which frequency to boot up in.
But I don't think qemu able to emulate frequency ?
So it should be useless.
I am sure that is true and my example might be very week in the above case.
I think if a board we are trying to emulate has boot time configurations governed by jumpers or switches for enabling or disabling certain hardware devices , then having a runtime solution seems more appropriate. It seems silly to have to rebuild to qemu if one wants to switch device A to be uart #2 from an IrdA device when using "-switches 1=on" could do the same.

Well, my opinion is not really important here, but I think "-switches
1=on" is too low level... using the "meaning" could be more
user-friendly, something like "-deviceA uart2".
Sure your opinion matters, I can get an idea stuck in my little brain and not see the trees in the forest. "-device", that got me thinking... Lets say I have a mips port that has one PCI slot on it. I could get a listing of PCI cards supported by this port and select one for use by that PCI slot. This could be extended for local bus (i.e switches & jumpers) , PCMCIA and SD slots.

Regards,
Armin