qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] build error

From: Edgar E. Iglesias
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] build error
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 17:53:33 +0100

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 03:43:34PM +0100, Andreas Färber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am 08.01.2008 um 00:59 schrieb Rob Landley:
>
>> On Monday 07 January 2008 05:27:19 Edgar E. Iglesias wrote:
>>> I needed this or similar to build recent qemu's with gcc-4.
>>>
>> Is that all you needed, and did the result work?
>
> For system emulation on OSX/ppc I only needed a fix for always_inline (as
> suggested by Alexander Graf as part of his OSX x86_64 patch), then
> sparc-softmmu compiles and runs fine for several hours on OSX Leopard.
>
> It seems Leopard's system headers are incompatible with gcc-3.3, and using
> a different -sdkroot does not work. So GCC4 is becoming a necessity there,
> too (in addition to any OSX/i386).
>
> Is there anything specific to watch out for with GCC4 at this time? What
> does this ".previous" addition fix?

The workaround in linux-user/main.c for recent libc's switches the current
section to .rodata but does not switch it back. The .previous makes sure it is
restored to it's previous section.

It's not really gcc4 related but on my system gcc 4 failed while gcc-3.4.6
didn't.

Best regards
--
Edgar E. Iglesias