qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] s390-dis.c license

From: Bill C. Riemers
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] s390-dis.c license
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 16:29:29 -0500

According to section 9 of the GPL, you would only have to contact
contributors for code which specified version 2 of the GPL and not later...

e.g.

 *  Copyright (c) 2003-2005 Fabrice Bellard
 *
 * This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
 * modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public
 * License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
 * version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

The any later version means you can replace the GPL 2 license with GPL
3, without contacting the author.  This is explicitly spelled out by
section 9 of the GPL.  The reason why some software projects can not
automatically update to GPL 3, is some authors deliberately remove the
", or (at your option) any later version." clause.

Bill