qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] [kqemu] BR and presentation

From: Jérôme PRIOR
Subject: [Qemu-devel] [kqemu] BR and presentation
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 18:34:15 +0100

Hi,

I'm using qemu on a Slackware 12.0 up to date. Kernel is home made, and
release is : 2.6.21.5
My processor is an AthlonXP 2500+ (so, single core and no virtualisation
instructions embedded)
My qemu and kqemu version are : kqemu-1.3.0pre11-i686-1ast
qemu-0.9.0-i686-0ast. I build myself the package stripping qemu
binaries, but not kqemu module of course.

I try to run Fedora 8. It is a live CD installable.
I first try to boot it whit kqemu enable. Kernel Panic :
cl : qemu -hda fedora8.qcow2 -cdrom /dev/hdb -kernel-kqemu -boot d

--- boq ---

[[a big serie of lines likes this are before those]]
 [<c04041be>] __switch_to+0xcb/0x149
 [<c0405046>] ret_from_fork+0x6/0x1c
 [<c073f3e0>] kernel_init+0x0/0x360
 [<c073f3e0>] kernel_init+0x0/0x360
 [<c0405dbb>] kernel_thread_helper+0x7/0x10
 =======================
Code : 57 89 d1 .... [[lot of other during 3 lines]]
EIP: [<c046b372>] __init_zone_state+0x2b/0x4d SS:ESP 0068:c7fd9c10
kernel panic - not syncing: Attemped to kill init!
Clocksource tsc unstable (delta = -339335566 ns)
Time: pit clocksource has been installed.

--- eoq ---

Booting without the kqemu just works fine ... and slowly ;)
After installing the liveCD, I try to boot my new vm, with the kqemu
enable, the kernel panic is the same.
cl : qemu -hda fedora8.qcow2 -cdrom /dev/hdb -kernel-kqemu -boot c
Booting without -kernel-kqemu option just works fine.

I don't know if I can help you to have many informations, or if the bug
is known.

I've got some other problems, maybe this is linked :
  1/ I installed slackware-12.0 on a vm (the same OS as hosted, may I
consult a psychanalist ?), on qcow2 virtual disk. The installation and
use works fine, full virtualisation enabled, and today, without doing
nothing particular, the vm won't boot : no hard disk bootable. I boot
on my cd, I fdisk, and I just cry and constast my disk was just empty :
no partition, no swap, nothing, just a virgin hard drive, even though I
used this virtual machine many time before ! And the matter is similar
in 2/
  2/ When I tried to snapshot my virtual Slackware-12.0 (this Slackware
is for make perfect package/SlackBuild on a full installed and vanilla
slackware), my hard disk worked, and few seconds later, the vm just
stop. When I try to boot, same error as in 1/. And when I boot my
rescue CD on it, same thing. This last point (trying to make a
snapshot) has been made 3 times ! And 3 times the same errors. Now I'm
going to use qcow instead of qcow2 and just cp/dd my virtual disk
instead of using snapshot.

I hope I help you a little, see you and thx

--
aster