qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Slow clock in guest OS

From: Sergey Bychkov
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Slow clock in guest OS
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 16:44:02 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mulyadi Santosa" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: 25.01.2008 14:02

Yes, it helps, in some extent.
With rtc/max-user-freq set to 1024 and "-clock rtc" option VM now works like
in 0.8.2 version.
Clock is slower than in host, but Windows Time server could correct this, if
started.
Busy host or guest CPU slows down clock.

I remember somebody wrote dyntick patch...but not sure if it is
already merged into qemu CVS.

Yes, it merged (I thought it is the default). Now I tried to test VM with it - Win2k3 hangs on boot, on the stage, afaik, switching to protected mode.

Maybe you need similar trick like win98 to halt CPU when not doing anything?

Win2k3 has NT kernel (like in WinXP/2000) and does't require this. When guest OS is idle, qemu uses only few percents of host CPU, and guest clock didn't lose too much.

Sometimes VM hangs on start.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this is weird.... can you dump
the generated opcode? pls see qemu-doc/tech for more detail on how to
do it.

May be I will try to work with this problem later and report it in different thread.

Htop shows that qemu uses 100% of second CPU in
user mode.

Before I forgot, do you use kqemu? if yes, do you full virtualization mode?

Yes. No.
But I have got this problem sometimes with -kernel-kqemu and with -no-kqemu options.

Internal QEMU VNC server listens port but doesn't accepts
connections, so vncviewer hangs too. If used GUI, is shows monitor prompt, that doesn't accept any keyboard input. Could be killed by Ctrl-C in console or 'kill -9'. May be it's different problem but they happen both on the same
host hardware.

very weird....do you use precompiled qemu binary? or do you compile by
yourself? if it is compiled by yourself, what gcc version do you use?

Previous (stable) version of qemu 0.8.2 was from Debian Etch amd64 (x86_64) - precompiled. Yesterday's snapshot (qemu-snapshot-2008-01-24_05) compiled manually with GCC-4, for targets x86_64-softmmu, i386-softmmu.
==
$ ./configure --disable-gcc-check --disable-gfx-check --target-list="i386-softmmu x86_64-softmmu" --prefix=$HOME
make
make install
==
qemu-system-x86_64 only used, because host OS is x86_64 and I want kqemu to be used.
Win2k3 is 32bit version.

PS There is no documentation about "-clock" option in latest qemu documents, exept source code, of cause :)

Yours sincerely,
Sergey Bychkow
ICQ: 21014758
FTN: 2:450/118.55