qemu-devel

Re: [kvm-devel] [Qemu-devel] Merging KVM QEMU changes upstream

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [kvm-devel] [Qemu-devel] Merging KVM QEMU changes upstream
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:50:21 -0600

Paul Brook wrote:
Is this a reasonable merge strategy?  We won't introduce regressions but
I can't guarantee these new things will work cross-architecture.

I think it depends to some extent whether things will need rewriting to be made cross-architecture. In particular if this requires interface changes. This means either breaking existing guests, or having to support both interfaces.

That's a reasonable stance to take. I don't think anything in the tree right now presents that problem. I'll start sending out some patches and if you have specific concerns, we can talk about them 1-by-1.

e.g. the extboot stuff seems like something that should be usable by all targets, except that the current interface looks like it's inherently x86 specific.

Well with extboot in particular, the only interface is between the extboot option ROM and QEMU and I don't think that breaking that interface will matter much in practice.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Paul